When moving with a full service moving company, the mover is required by law to prepare an Order for Service document for your shipment. You are entitled to a copy of the Order for Service after it has been prepared. The Order for Service is part of the contract (Bill of Lading) between you and your mover. If for any reason you have to cancel or delay your shipment, you must promptly cancel the order. A penalty may be assessed if you cancel your shipment three days after signing the order for service.
The Order for Service confirms in writing the services that you have requested. It will list the agreed pack dates, pickup dates, and delivery dates. It also shows the amount of liability that you have requested as well as any other special services such as an extra stop, delivery to a self-storage/mini storage, waiting time, 1st day of storage in transit, each additional day of storage, and delivery out of storage in transit. Your contact phone where you can be reached during the process of the move will be listed. Make sure all numbers are correct.
Most important, the Order for Service will show the charges that you may be assessed for the move. For a non-binding estimate, the Order for Service will list the estimated non-binding charges, the method of payment for the charges, and any additional charges that may occur. For a binding estimate, the Order for Service will list the charges you will pay and the method of payment.
If anything would change, such as the agreed upon pickup or delivery date, changes in the non-binding estimate, the mover must prepare a written change to the Order for Service and then this must be attached to the Order for Service.
Here are elements listed on the Order for Service that you want to know about:
- Your registration number for your shipment can be found in the upper right hand order of your Order for Service. You may need this number when speaking with representatives.
- The mover’s name, address, and phone number, will appear in Origin Agent box. If you were using our company, Columbine Moving & Storage, 411 AABC, Aspen, CO 81611 would appear with our phone number.
- Your name or the name of the person that owns the goods, address, and telephone number is in the Shipper box. In the Consignee box you will see the name of the person receiving the shipment, address, phone number at destination. (This could be the same name as the shipper.) Payment methods must be indicated.
- Your Destination Agent will be listed with his address and phone number. If you are having problems with your shipment, this Agent can be contacted for help. The Carrier Box will list Allied Van Lines, Inc. with their address and phone number along with Motor Carrier number of 15735 and the DOT number of 076235 if moving with Allied Van Lines, Inc.
- Your packing, loading, delivery, and unpacking areas are for dates that have been scheduled for your move. Always check these dates so they are accurate.
- Read the “Important Notice” section. This section will describe the pricing based on what was estimated.
- The next area is your transportation charges, declaration of value, and cartons, packing and unpacking and the amounts that are being charged.
- There is an explanation of the two different standards for the company’s liability based on the types of rates you pay. If your shipment is a non-binding shipment, this section will explain that if your shipment exceeds the estimate by 10 percent, then at time of delivery, you may pay 110% of this amount of the estimated charges and request delivery of your goods. You will be billed for the balance of the charges 30 days after delivery and you are obligated to pay the balance of the charges within 7 days of receipt of invoice.
- A complete description of any special services will be listed with the pricing so you will have these prices if any of these services are needed.
- Method of payment can be by cash, certified check, traveler’s check or bank check. Personal checks are not taken.
- You do have the right to observe the weighing of your shipment. There is an area to indicate if you want to do this on the Order for Service.
- You and your mover must both sign the Order for Service.
On any moving paperwork, do not sign blank or incomplete documents.