Pianos are one of the harder items in a household to move, considering their size, awkward shape, and bulkiness. It’s a good idea to enlist the help of a professional moving company. Today, I will specifically talk about moving a baby grand or grand piano. These babies can weigh between 500 to 1200 hundred pounds so at the least you will need three men.
1. Remove Lid and Pad wrap.
2. Remove Pedals and Pad wrap.
3. Remove Lyre and Music Rack and Pad. Remove piano hinges (very important to remove piano hinges because if they are not removed they could cause major damage when the piano is placed on the piano board.) Secure all loose parts in a “parts box” or stretch wrap.
4. Station the piano board (this is equipment specially used for moving pianos) next to the long side of the piano, set a clean pad on top of the board. As two of the movers hold the weight of the piano, the third man removes the front left leg. Piano is tilted and lowered onto the piano board and then positioned on the piano board.
5. Remove remaining legs and pad wrap all.
6. Wrap entire piano body in clean pads while on the piano board and then stretch wrap piano
7. Piano is then secured to the piano board with logistic straps.
8. In case of snow or gravel, plywood or a truck walk-board can be used to assist in rolling the piano to the truck. If you are lucky, you will have a life-gate truck otherwise, it will need to be pushed up the walk-board. As you can imagine, this is not easy task.
9. On arrival at the other end, pad all hallway floors as you wheel the piano to its final destination and reverse the process. You are now ready to “make music”.